Monday, March 31, 2014

The power button logo

Ever wonder about that thing? I received an email from Travis with the following very interesting bit of information on it from Intel, explaining the origin of the power symbol.


They are certainly correct; the symbol is based on binary code, with the 'one' or vertical line representing on, and the 'zero' or circle representing off, which is what they both represent in code. I'd like to offer a little more clarification about their use and application. The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) has standardized this iconography, which makes sense since setting standards is one of their functions. IEC 5007 standardizes the 'power on' symbol (the line) with its definition being the symbol represents the equipment being placed into a fully powered state. IEC 5008 indicates the 'power off' symbol (the circle) indicates power will be disconnected from the device. There are other symbols as well which can be seen in this one-page .pdf.

You can see these symbols not just in the standard overlapping form presented above, but on almost every power switch, since they are standards. The power-strip below (from England, by the way) and the PC power supply pictured below that both feature the same symbols, just in a different form, but with '1' representing on and '0' representing off.






10 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the interesting information! I had no idea that the power on and off symbols were based on binary code, however it makes a lot of sense now that it has been explained. I have shared this information with some co-workers and they thought it was quite interesting as well, none of them had any idea either, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was interesting as well. I am glad that I am not the only one to get excited about something like this. :). This is even more interesting than learning that we use different measurements of voltages for power than our European peers. I didn't know there were other spin-off symbols however. This is a handy chart that I will keep on hand at work in case I ever need to reference it.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too had no idea that the on and off buttons were binary codes. I showed this to my son because he is a computer geek and he already knew this. He is only 13 but loves exploring and learning anything and everything about technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie TheobaldApril 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM

    I had never thought about why that symbol was chosen to represent on and off switches. Now it makes a lot of sense why people would choose that symbol. Creating the symbol from binary code is very unique. People understand that binary is one of the most important parts for technology. I did look at all the electron items on my desk to see if their power symbols were the binary 1 and 0, and they all have the same symbol which I understand now :)

    Stephanie Theobald

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that the power on and off had anything to do with binary. It's interesting to think that in other countries when plugs are different, the on off symbols are the same. This just validates our conversation from Friday that technology is the same world wide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.. After all these years I've never thought to ask why is the power button symbol the way it is. I had always just always told others to switch it to the line for on and circle for off. It is really thoughtful how it correlates to binary, 1 being on and 0 being off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never really thought about the symbols of the on and off switch or the power button, I was just used to it just like anything else. I also didn't know that the on and off switch had anything to do with the binary. It's interesting to find information like this out!
    -Kristen Lalli

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never thought about where the on/off symbols had come from before, but it makes perfect sense. With technology taking more of the center stage in everyday life I can only imagine what other common things are out there that are computer language that we don't even actively realize.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never realized the symbols had a binary meaning behind it besides on/off. It does make sense though to make it something so general that it is used all over the world. Just like the world wide web is something the entire world shares is the same, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We see this all the time and yet I never wondered why it was designed that way. With what we learned in class about binary, this was very interesting to read. I do have a better understanding and it makes sense. This is one of those interesting little tidbits that will be fun to share with other people.

    ReplyDelete