Thursday, March 13, 2014

The most notorious computer game ever made gets an update


Before I tell you what the most notorious computer game ever created is, you might already have an idea formed. Some Xbox game, maybe? Or the infernal Angry Birds or Candy Crush? Please. Those are for kids. Let me clarify; by notorious, I mean difficult, Not just difficult, but insidious, and obtuse, and unclear, and confusing, and if you make one tiny mistake your character will be dead and you'll have to start over.

You'll be surprised when I tell you. Usually it's the other way around; I say "You'll know when I tell you," then I tell you, and you all say "Oh yeah, I knew that." But this is a tough one.

Are you ready? Are you sure you're ready? You didn't see it on the screenshot above? OK, here it is:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Yep, based off the beloved book/radio play of the same name by the late Douglas Adams, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the book that went on to become a 4-part trilogy. But it's not a game as we know it today. This particular game was released way back in 1984, in the very early days of computer gaming when the industry was still trying to find its place, by a company known as Infocom. Infocom was unique, because it released games that had no graphics, they were text only. The game would provide a written description of where you were and what was going on, and you typed a command just like the command-line interface we discussed in class. Because of that, their descriptions of environments were incredibly illustrative and colorful even without images, and could accept and parse a wide range of complex inputs at the command line, such as 'Get squid from squid tank and wear it as a hat, then open the inflatable treasure chest.' They were interactive fiction, as well written and absorbing as any novel.

I know the above screenshot doesn't look like much, but it is the opening screen of the very first and most well-known Infocom release, Zork I. The stories and technology to tell them became more advanced as time went on.

They had many detailed and involving games games, each one an adventure in a unique setting - from a carnival to a haunted house to a sunken ship and many others - as you can tell from their titles. Games included Wishbringer, Infidel, Ballyhoo, Deadline, Lurking Horror, Planetfall, Cutthroats, and there were many more as you can see in the promo image for the iPhone/iPad app below.


To make the experience even more engrossing, their packaging included what Infocom referred to as 'Feelies.' These were maps, or magazines from the game world, or tokens, or a wand, or pieces of eight, or a key, or a bunch of other things from the story itself that helped the story come alive.

Back to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It is legendary for it's difficulty and the level of frustration it caused. In fact, when it first starts, this is all you get:
  • >_
And that's it! You are expected to figure out what to type at that prompt, and almost anything you type will give you a smart-ass response or get you killed. Even if you're familiar with the books it's still very difficult to figure out the proper sequence of actions to survive even for a second. But don't panic.

So why am I telling you about all this? Because it's been updated and re-released on the BBC's website! But this time it's using the HTML5 specification and updated with retro-futuristic graphics, along with the ability to save and reload your game, thankfully. For someone like me who remembers the original, it's a thing of beauty. But if you aren't familiar with this type of interactive fiction or even the story of the Guide, this is an outstanding introduction to both. I dare you to try it and let us know how you did. As far as I can tell, *it only works in Internet Explorer,* but it's worth it. 

I should also add that, as mentioned above, there is a very well-done app for the iPad and iPhone called 'Lost Treasures of Infocom,' that has Infocom's original game, Zork I, and its other titles available for 99 cents each. But they come with enhanced playability, history of the game, and all of the 'feelies' that were included with each title. It's so well done I can't stand it, I'm envious of iPhone users because they have access to it.

Also, if you decide to brave The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game, the very first thing you should type is 'Turn on light.' You'll thank me later. 

9 comments:

  1. The game was actually very amusing even though the flathead screwdriver kept dancing around giving the bulldozer more time to catch me. Pretty disappointing that even though I survived the bulldozer the entire world was destroyed. Seems like a catch22, no mater what you do your going to die anyways. I do like how the details contained what you had to do, you just had to pay attention to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie TheobaldMarch 13, 2014 at 7:24 PM

    I have never personally played this game but as I was looking at the blog my fiancĂ© looked at my screen and told me that Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy sucks. He kept on saying that the game was really hard and ridiculous. Just the fact that all the first screen says is that and then waits for you to input the next action is crazy. I can just see myself getting so pissed off at this game. One day when I have the courage to try it I will remember that the first thing I have to do is turn on the Light.

    -Stephanie Theobald

    ReplyDelete
  3. You think that game is hard? You should try to play QWOP. This game is extremely frustrating and absolutely pointless. I can see why this game would be hard though and I would get nowhere fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, this game sure makes me glad that my first computer game was Wolfenstein 3D, and then minesweeper and all that. Have you tried Flappy Bird yet? Another frustrating and pointless game as well, although I am sure that the sole comparison of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with Flappy Bird is enough to upset anybody.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! I actually I have never played games on my PC, except for solitaire. This game is intriguing though. I did type turn the light on, which was a success, but got no other. It didn't understand several of my commands. It said I don't know that word. Then I asked to turn around, where it gave me a snotty response of well wasn't that fun! I get see how it could pull you in just for the mere sake of curiosity. I love games that are puzzles and this qualifies. I think I will have to try it again when I have more time : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing this post has revived my unending love for this book. All week I keep remembering lines from the book and laughing out load when I think of them. I have not read this since I was in my 20's and I am now recommending it to a whole new group of friends. I even reached out to some old friends because it. A long time ago, someone had made a movie out of the book and it was really aweful. Then in 2005, someone else remade the movie and it stars Mos Def, Zooey Deschanel, John Malkovich, and Helen Mirin, to name a few. I remember renting the film and being dissappointed. However, since I now love all these actors, I am going to have to watch it again. Thanks for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of this game until reading this post; maybe because it was released the same year I was born. But I usually do not play any games on my laptop except for solitaire. I did give this game a try and I do appreciate you giving us the first comman, "Turn on light," but after that I it was an epic fail. I do not like how I have to input the commands and some not being recgonized. But I am going to see if I can become any good at this game!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is cool. This game is even more primitive than the Oregon Trail, so I don't think I could ever play it for more than five minutes being so used to all of these beautiful graphic games, but I will have to share this with some of my coworkers who have surely played the original Hitchhiker's guide.

    ReplyDelete