Monday, March 31, 2014

Bing

On Friday, a few of you were confusing Bing - the search engine - with a browser. I want to clear up what bing is, what a browser is, and how they, or any search engine, can be used.

Bing is a search engine like Google or Yahoo or Ask; really nothing more than a webpage. You can use it in any browser you'd like. Whether you use Firefox, or Chrome, or Internet Explorer, or Opera, or Safari, or any other browser, if you type in www.bing.com the browser you are using will take you to Bing's home page. Likewise, if you type www.google.com you will be taken to Google's page, regardless of the browser you are using.

Below are screenshots of Google and Bing in various browsers, so you can see that it's the same regardless of which browser you choose. (Blogger doesn't let me align them horizontally, so this is the best I can give you).

Google in the Chrome browser

Bing in the Chrome browser

Google in the Firefox browser

Bing in the Firefox browser

I was going to include Internet Explorer and Safari, but to be blunt it would look exactly the same; it would just be Google and Bing in that browser.

The search engine you choose, whether it's Google or Bing or whatever, is independent of the browser you use to view it.

10 comments:

  1. I have never really used Bing because when I go to look something up it is habit to type in google. Plus I am a really big google crome fan and the home page that is set is google as well. Also google is set on my phone so I really never used bing but I also don't want to use it because I love google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first comment was by Sabrina DiBlasi

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the clarification, I am one of those who was calling it a browser. I hear that the #1 search on Bing was Google. I though that was amusing. I use Google and IE or Chrome browser. I guess in some ways they are al the same, but I a just used to using Google.

      Delete
    3. Natalia, I hope that was a running joke (the #1 search on Bing), but if not that is equally as hilarious. I only use Bing briefly (After applying some workarounds of course) so I can receive my Bing rewards, because there are some good prizes! Other than that, Google for me has returned much more useful search results...

      Delete
    4. I agree, I am a fan of google, even though bing is on when I go on the Internet, I always go to google, and start my search. Bing seemed to always give me a bunch of unimportant information. When I use google, I usually get information that will help me what I am searching for.

      Mya Taylor

      Delete
  2. Yes, thank you for the clarification. I knew what a search engine is, I just kept getting confused on what a browser was. Browser (IE, Chrome, Safari) is how you get onto the internet and the search engine (Bing, Google, Ask) are how you find stuff. Not a Bing fan myself and but I like IE. Like Google but not much of a Google Chrome fan...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate Bing. I like using Google. I feel like Bing doesn't give you what your looking for but on the other hand Google is always on point. My opinion only hope not to offend any Bing lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard to realize that there are other options out there when computers from with internet explorer automatically; its easy to get confused with what is what when you aren't computer savvy. Thank goodness for this class! When I switched to an iphone it took me the longest time to realize that Safari was the internet. I've only ever used IE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for clarifying the terminology for us! It is definitely a lot clearer now. After reading your article, I can easily say with confidence that my favorite browser is definitely Mozilla Firefox, and my favorite search-engine is Google. Although, the search-engine, Bing, is growing on me. I especially like all the beautiful pictures Bing associates itself with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely a Goggle girl. I love how I start typing in what I'm searching for and it automatically pop's up, its like its reading my mind!! Bing is good and I do enjoy there pictures, but I guess bias to Google.

    ReplyDelete