Wednesday, April 30, 2014

More tech history

Since I've been on a pseudo-historical bent with the posts this week, I thought I'd just go for broke and make a post about some interesting tech from the days of yore. This isn't about ENIAC or the Analytical Engine, though, this is about the ever-forward march for convenience through consumer tech.

Below we have some attempts at navigation technology. One is in the form of a watch, and one is meant to be mounted in a car. Both have interchangeable maps that are like little scrolls - the auto-mounted one would advance according to the speed of the car, while the watch one had to be advanced by hand. You could buy maps for different locations and change them out as necessary. The car systems were developed in Bulgaria in the 1930s, while the watch, called the 'RouteFinder,' is from England and was developed a decade earlier in the 1920s.







Next, we have the original version of Google Glass, an over-the-eyes TV set, complete with dials and antenna. This was back in 1963, when there were only three channels and no color TV. Plus, you would need to sit very still otherwise the antenna would have a tough time doing their job. (On a related note, if you're a fan of Google+, you may not be one for long).


If it's 1936 and you just can't wait for the Kindle to make its debut, then why not get these glasses which use mirrors to allow you to read in bed without having to sit up, or even look at the book? These should be released now! They're a good idea.


Have trouble focusing? Maybe you're easily distracted? Kids not getting their schoolwork done? Living in the 1920's? Then get them the isolator! It pumps oxygen into a head covering which also blocks all audio stimulus and limits your field of vision. What could go wrong?


Finally, the oldest known selfie, taken almost 200 years ago in 1839 by Robert Cornelius outside his family's store.


All photos from Distractify.

12 comments:

  1. How original all these contraptions were. Now they are considered technological advances when in fact, they are copies of the past. It is amazing how time repeats itself constantly? As for the first selfie, I would have thought it would be some artist who painted himself before they came out with photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I found this post extremely interesting! Look at how far we've come from the first technological "prototypes." History excites me to no end. I can't believe the ideas for technology that we use today even existed that far in the past! Our modern day GPS look similar to the second picture. I also believe those glasses with the mirrors (where you can lay down and read) would be very useful today. Also, I'll admit, you got me to laugh with the "first ever selfie."

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to see how mere thoughts and ideas from the past are actually becoming a reality. I was just at the store earlier today looking at some movies, and terminator came up. I was talking with the clerk, telling him that this technology is almost here and I wouldnt be suprised if I see it in my life time. He said it's not gonna be that advanced. Then I showed him the Atlas machine. You should of saw the look on his face. It was classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really, really, like the idea of the mirror glasses. Lay down in bed looking up and watch movies, read your tablet, books, go thru your phone or spy on people! j/k, or am I? Really want to see if this idea is patented cause it sounds like a money making machine to me!
    I was impressed to see the GPS device that you get to attach to a car and its controlled with cars speed, I wonder if it also perceived the turns when the car made them and such, sounds like great technology for its time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just amazing! I never imagined ideas like these originated so early. I personally like the mirror glasses one, sometimes reading at night makes me uncomfortable but this, you could go from reading to sleeping in seconds haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Navigation technology has advanced so much. I never knew the watch and car mount maps ever existed. I really like the car mount one how it scrolls based on the cars speed. I do need to get my hands on the insulator since finals are around the corner it would prove quite useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very interesting everything is been recycled from different people that had a great idea but it did not worked because the technology at the time limited them to think outside the box. Is good to know history of technology ( others life events too) because you know what mistakes others had made and you learned new ways to improve it and continue finding mistakes others can avoid to create a great piece of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is great and how innovative during that time. I think that the map that is mounted is great idea especially since it goes with the speed of the car, very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some very interesting inventions of products we now use today but with better technology. Those TV glass had to be annoying with having to sit still, but not so while watching tv. I thought the navigation was cool, but haivng to change then out when you are heading to a new destination who wants to do that all the time. I started to crack up laughing when I seen the first selfie every taken. Those bed time reading glasses are actually a good idea, a person would be a whole lot comfortable if they were able to lay down and read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well now I know why I haven't heard of these inventions. Some are a bit weird like the Isolator. I'm not sure this is a good invention. The maps are pretty cool. I think people back then would be amazed at the new technology advancement that we have today. We are taking a product such as the maps and digitizing it. We have defiantly come a long way in improving good original ideas. I'm going to pass this along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The GPS watch is pretty cool. I just purchased the Garmin GPS golf watch that gives me instant yardage to any green on any golf course in the world. Pretty cool technology all embedded into a watch without having to pay a subscription fee. The isolator looks pretty scary!! I would not want anyone smoking around that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always amazed when I look back and see the history of certain inventions, then see what has come out since. I always wonder what is going to be invented next. Amazing!

    Mya Taylor

    ReplyDelete