Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Here comes the superfast Wi-Fi


A couple of you sent me links to stories about a new FCC ruling which will open up the channels Wi-Fi is able to use, making wireless network speeds much, MUCH faster.

Wireless connections are, by their very nature, slower, less secure, and more prone to interference than wired connections. If you can plug a cord directly from your device into the router, you'll have a much better experience overall. But with many devices (most, now, actually), that is not an option. You need the wireless connection so you can connect a tablet or smartphone or digital band or whatever other wireless-only device you have.


In a shared environment, in which many devices are using that wireless connection, the connection is actually skipping from device to device very rapidly, giving each device a little bit of connection time before moving on to the next, then cycling back through them all over and over; no two devices have access at the same time.

With this new ruling, which opens up 100Mhz of frequency in the 5.15 - 5.25 gigahertz frequency range, that will no longer be necessary. Now, each device can have its own wireless channel for connecting to and using a wireless hotspot. This will make your connection speed much faster, up to one gigabit per second - or possibly even faster - as opposed to the speeds available now, which at their absolute fastest are 300 megabits, although we all get closer to 25 or 50. It will be as though your device has its own provate commute lane instead of having to share the road with a thousand other cars. This will be especially welcome in public places like libraries or airports or coffee shops or schools to name a few. It applies to 'unlicensed devices' which provide infrastructure-based (remember that word from class?) hotspots and the devices that use them such as routers and baby monitors and tablets. It also removes the indoor-only requirement for these devices. Licensed devices would be those used for regulated data transmission, such as emergency personnel, airlines, etc. and they are not affected by this.

Now you can do both of these things, and much faster to boot!
You may remember we talked about the various wireless protocols in use today; if you look at your wireless router, it likely sys something like 'a/b/g' compatible. It may have other protocols listed as well, such as ab or ag. Those protocols, which all fall under the 802.11 standard, are simply the rules that the router uses to send traffic back and forth. This new protocol hasn't been classified as far as I can tell, but I suspect new devices that can use it will be coming pretty soon, as I'm not convinced a simple firmware update, or flash update (which we also discused in class) will be sufficient.

There's so much information about it I have decided to simply link three relevant articles - you can read much more about the recent ruling and what it means at Cnet, PC World and The Register.

FCC frees up 100MHz of spectrum for Wi-Fi (Cnet)

FCC Clears the Way for Gigabit Wi-Fi (PC World)

FCC doubles 5GHz spectrum in prep for one-giagbit Wi-Fi (The Register, from the UK)




6 comments:

  1. I saw this news last Friday and was eagered to share it with everybody. Like i've mentioned it before, I just can wait until we can get up to 100MHz of spectrum free up for Wi-Fi, I used to hate everyone that enjoys the fiber optics that Google provides in some cities, this might 'cool' me down a little bit. Finally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that faster Wi-Fi will be wonderful. Unfortunately, I am one of those who airplay music from their iPhone or iPad and still try to work online. Sometimes my iPad or iPhone will lose connection and the music stops air playing, it kind of sucks. I cannot wait to see what one gigabit per second, wireless internet connection will be like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this mean I shouldn’t switch my internet service provider? Once this is available to the public I think this is going to be life changing. Personally, I struggle with my internet connection at home and cellular service. Being able to connect to a better and faster Wi-Fi is going to increase the use of the internet, especially if it’s going to connect outdoors as well. I don’t think parents are really going to like this new law because it’s hard enough as it is to get their teens off the internet and now they are going to have accessibility pretty much everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you won't need to change your ISP, because you need to have the speed to your network first before fast Wi-Fi will make a difference. So if your ISP provides poor speed to begin with, having superfast Wi-Fi won't speed it up any - the speed has to be there to begin with.

      Delete
  4. I was actually unaware about this news. I also was not aware that the connection of a wireless router is slower than the wired connection. Now that I do know this I hope that they push forward with 100MHz for the Wi-Fi. I know most people would love if there phone signal would boost this much in speed. 1 gig per second is actually very fast, I am looking forward for this upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think faster Wi-Fi will be a good thing. Especially if you are stuck at the airport or just sipping coffee at your favorite coffee house. You can just stream a movie or read the news. It will be fast and convenient. I have my sister's computer connected to my desktop via Wi-Fi so I'm hoping that connection will also improve so it does not take a decade to download upgrades and other information.

    ReplyDelete