Wednesday, April 23, 2014

It just doesn't get any more Busey than this.


Yesterday I made a post about the Amazon Fire TV with a banner ad featuring Gary Busey. He was great in the Buddy Holly Story, and the World's Dumbest series, and nothing else.

Thanks to Shannon for her comment that opened my eyes to his advertisement for the Amazon Fire, another can now be added to the list. Apparently he also wants voice command, something that smartphone makers are banking on, and now other devices, including the Fire, are as well. The advertisement is a masterpiece of storytelling, character development, and plot arcs. Plus, it has Gary Busey. Bask in the glow of Shakespearean narrative as only Gary Busey can provide. To paraphrase A Charlie Brown Christmas, he's the Gary Busiest!


A couple of thoughts: I also like talking to things! Who doesn't? Sometimes, like Gary Busey, I talk to my pants. Why not? Remember the song Hello Walls? Why not Hello Pants? As strange as it may seem, embedded systems in clothing are already a reality, even leading to pseudo-invisibility. Additionally, voice recognition has become its own domain and of monumental importance to many devices, some of which make complete sense and others that don't. Amazon is putting a lot of importance on voice commands, and they've had great success with their previous devices, so we'll see how it goes.

Hello, pants!

2 comments:

  1. The voice recognition I think would be awesome, if they actually work correctly. But I am seen these commercials with Gary Bussey many times, and in my opinion, he acts ridiculous. I think they could have picked a much better spokes person for the advertisement.

    Mya Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for a device for streaming including Apple TV and the Roku but haven't been able to decide what I want. I think if the Amazon Fire is as good as it looks and is perceived in this commercial, I think that it could be the perfect fit. The only thing that I think that Amazon did wrong is finding the right person to go with the advertisement. I think he is a very poor actor and not well known anymore, so why put him in the advertisement instead of someone who is going to attract more customers. I do however think the commercial was very humorous, but it was hard to tell what the advertisement was for, until about 15 seconds till the end, I would have just changed the channel before I knew what it was for.
    -Shane Booth

    ReplyDelete