Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Time Warner/Comcast Merger


I was going to write a post discussing how the Comcast-TimeWarner deal that we all know is anticompetitive and monopolistic is likely to go through anyway, but there is so much to write about there's no way I could make it a succinct post.

For example, there are countless articles stating why Congress should reject the deal (I agree), but they're more idealistic than legal. Some are more pragmatic in explaining why it's likely to - and even should - happen no matter what.

And then there is article after article after article talking about the effect it will have on Netflix. The VAST majority of opinions are against the deal, but it appears there is no practical legal grounds on which to reject it. Netflix, for its part, is already planning on raising prices, in part because of their increase in subscribers and demand for original content, but also because they believe that *their* prices will rise as a result.

As you all know, I personally am very against this merger in every possible way. Did no one learn anything from the AOL-Time-Warner merger from yesteryear? Luckily we use Cox, but I just discovered that I have a data cap on my Internet service! So me and the cable company soon are going to have a talk. Be careful out there.

If you want to see something really scary, look at the infographic below. It shows the impact of media consolidation. It's a huge graphic, so you'll want to save it, open it in an image viewer, and zoom way in. But be prepared for what it says.



3 comments:

  1. It is never good when major competitors merge together. This removes the balancing force of competition and allows these companies to essentially do anything they want. And by having such a strangle hold on the internet it could not only effect Netflix, but Hulu and Amazon as well. I don't like the fact that a company can choose what to to allow me access to and what to restrict my access or downgrade my service to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there were actual legal grounds to reject this merger because I feel that nothing good can come of it.No one gains, except the monopolies of course.Ultimately, the consumers lose. My brother just told me today, thank goodness you have already subscribed to Netflix because they're raising their prices to new subscribers. I am sure this merger has a lot, if not everything to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree there is nothing good going to come out of these two companies merging. They will riase prices on consumers due to the fact they can, since it will be a monoply if this deal is accepted. I would nto be surpirsed if Netflicks did raise their prices, I read in an article a month ago about this possible merger and how Netflicks will have faster streaming speeds and a cleaer picture which will come from this merger; that was a clue that the prices were going to increase. NOt just for Netflicks but for all streaming applications. I wish there was some legal ground that would reject this proposal.

    ReplyDelete