Monday, September 23, 2013

Ron 'Typewriter' Mingo!


In the last class we discussed the reasoning behind the current keyboard layout as we know it today, and how it was developed to prevent jamming up the arms on mechanical keyboards. But this post will share a video that could make you think it might not have been so necessary in the first place.

In the last year of the 1970s and through the first few years of the 1980s, there was a television show called 'Real People' that attempted to showcase ordinary people with extraordinary stories or talents. Even my uncle Herb made an appearance on the show!

But the person we want to address today is none other than Ron 'Typewriter' Mingo, who at the time held the record for the fastest typist in the world at 160 words per minute, and this was on  purely mechanical typewriter! Below is the segment from Real People showing him typing in front of a class, supposedly to inspire them to do well in school. He even manages to work in the manual carriage return (that is an actual, literal carriage return). I'm just amazed he didn't jam up the typing arms of that machine.

Also, Tom Hanks is well known to have a massive mechanical typewriter collection, and even wrote them an ode in the New York Times. That's dedication!




5 comments:

  1. VINTAGE! I always love seeing 80s TV shows preserved for all to see. To be able to maintain 160 words per minute in addition to properly timing and returning the typing arm was incredible to see. Also the accuracy needed to execute this without relying on the backspace key that we do is pretty amazing. There was one item that stood out to me as well. The show added a disclaimer "Do Not Try This At Home" showcasing the definite distinction between normal typewriters and those "built for speed!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! this was pretty impressive, I must say. I am still young, and surprisingly enough I don't think I have ever even seen a typewriter... In this video it amazes me how they physically look. I never knew the keys were in tiered levels, that just seems so dysfunctional to type on compared to today's flat keyboards. Also, from what my father has told me, he said typewriters really required force when pushing each key down, so to be able to not only type at remarkable speed and accuracy, but forcefully push each individual key down is incredible. Also, he mentions that he literally practices typing 4-5 hours a day - ridiculous. I type a standard paper and my hands do start to cramp. The background music and how he typed to the music was comical.

    "I said I could type, not that I could spell!" - made me laugh, was not expecting his desperate attempt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite impressive!! The fact that he practices 4-5 hours a day to be the best is amazing and sends an important message to us all...with practice comes success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is pretty impressive but the fact that he strives to be a role model even more. I really do like the old typewritters they were a lot more fun to work with because punching the keys took some effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is pretty amazing! What is really admirable is that he uses his talents and abilities to be a role model for children. You can tell that he is really dedicated and loves what he does by the fact that he spends so much time each day practicing on typewriters.

    ReplyDelete