Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Careful now...


Everyone knows that if you're searching for or visiting sites that contain questionable material, such as sites that distribute warez or passwords, that you are opening yourself up to a wold of malicious software. These types of damaging programs like viruses and trojan horses (which we'll learn all about) are prevalent enough without going to sites like those.

But what if you're just trying to find out about a celebrity? See what movies they've been in? Or perhaps just looking for a nice wallpaper for your desktop? Well, you'd better be careful then too, depending on who you're searching for. It turns out that some celebrities are more likely to lead to a computer virus on your machine than others.

So if you're looking for Phil Collins' daughter or any of these other celebrities, you'd better be careful. And use good anti-virus software, even if you're on a Mac.

4 comments:

  1. It is interesting to see the changes in hackers as technology changes. You are right that the old adage of staying away from "questionable" sites is still valid, but as society gets better at battling the hackers, the hackers get better tenfold. I have become quite cautious about the sites I "trust." The smartphone world changed everything as now, if a hacker hits our phone, they have all contacts and pictures as well as passwords and even, with some apps and sites, bank and credit card information. This is definitely a great warning to us all though. I guess I won't go download that One Direction wallpaper that I really really wanted!
    -David Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized searching celebrities could be so dangerous. I wonder why certain celebrities are targeted more so than others when hackers are deciding who gets the virus. I am fairly cautious about my internet searches, but that's not to say I can't pick up a problem on the internet. I fully believe in antivirus software.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I didn't even know that Phil Collins had a daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy having different wallpaper on my laptop. I will keep my down loads to a minium. I really would have though they would associate a viruse with a more well known celebrity.

    ReplyDelete