Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A little more about the Dvorak keyboard


Now that many of you had the chance to try out the Dvorak keyboard, or at least a soft, on-screen version of it, I would like to point you to this article on The Straight Dope - a website that debunks common myths and legends - that provides further information about the origins of its development, as well as discussion of research that implies the Dvorak keyboard may not be all its cracked up to be.

An actual Remington mechanical typewriter!
You'll remember we discussed that it was originally developed in the 1800s to lessen the chance of the mechanical arms of a typewriter getting jammed up. We don't need that anymore, but familiarity breeds loyalty and we still use it today. The image above, a Remington which was the first company to massproduce typewriters, comes from this very interesting article over at AnandTech that is actually reviewing an ergonomic keyboard, but starts with a history of QWERTY.

2 comments:

  1. This section of the class really fascinated me. As I have spent years typing away on QWERTY keyboards it is crazy to think that there would even be an alternative. The AnandTech article was especially interesting in the more ergonomic design to their keyboard. I can completely see how it would help though. I am definitely interested in at least looking into getting a keyboard with the Cherry MX switches behind each of the keys. I know that I am constantly typing much harder than necessary and to be able to reduce any sort of wear and tear on the hands by having those little clicking switches would do wonders for my hands and assuredly keep them typing for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have carpal tunnel and deQeurvain's tendinitis in both thumbs and wrists, although not all from typing, but when I am on the computer for great lengths of time, my wrists and thumbs certainly feel it. I would love to try the TECK keyboard with its ergonomic design, to see if there really is a difference. i don't feel that removing the 10-key pad and strictly relying on the number line across the top is the best idea. For those of us who are quick at 10-key entry, the numbers across the top slow us down significantly. I would also like to experience the Cherry MX/brown switches, to see if it lessens the fatigue in my fingers when typing. Of course it would have to come down in price first!

    ReplyDelete