Friday, February 21, 2014

Useful site of the week.

Can't sleep? This should help!
If you're like me, your mind is flying all over the place all the time and it can sometimes be hard to concentrate. What is needed in that case is something to level out your thought process, focus your attention, and allow you to be productive. For me, the only thing that works is brown noise. Brown noise is a low-frequency non-specific tone similar to what a radio station gives when there's no signal.

There are other types of noise, including white noise and pink noise, each with their own sound signature and characteristics, ultimately for us it boils down to different 'colors' of noises having a higher pitch while others have a lower pitch.

It's why people listen to sounds of ocean waves or have a fan running (both generally a brown noise) when they want to fall asleep. I personally can't sleep without it myself.

But rather than listen to me go on and on about it, you can experiment with it yourself. Simplynoise.com is a website that has white, pink and brown noise and you can select between them. If you need a little cognitive balance every once in a while, this website will serve you well.

7 comments:

  1. I actually use this website and another to mix my sounds for sleep. I can't live without the sounds. I usually mix white noise with rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upon listening to all of the noise options provided on simplynoise.com (pink, white and brown), I like brown the most, however, pink is a close second. It is very soothing and somewhat stress relieving. I will most likely use this website in the future, when I just need a moment to relax from a hectic day of work and school. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is really interesting because I always tell people that I like white noise. I actually had no idea that there was brown or pink. After listening, it turns out that I really dislike white noise. I listened to the noises and pink seems to be the most effective at concentration, but the brown noise made me super sleepy. Probably because I have been sleeping with a fan on for six years. On the rare nights when I go to turn on the fan and it no longer functions, I will tough out the night, but I always find myself at Home Depot the next day for a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the type of person that my brain is running 24/7 and it at times a struggle for me to just relax and not think about everything if have going on or to do. I don't think I need a sound to help me relax even though sometimes it is hard for me to focus. If I'm trying to get an assignment done I would prefer to just work in complete silence and not have any type of music going on. That's what works best for me, but it is interesting to hear others opinions and what works best for them and that website was really interesting.

    -Kristen Lalli

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all very interesting! I went to the website, and listened to the different noises. Fortunately, I do not have issues sleeping in dead quiet. However, I can see the usefulness of brown noise for evening out random sounds in the night that may keep you awake. Whether listening to white, pink, or brown noise they all did share a calming effect. I can see it being used in this way, like people listening to the sounds of ocean waves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, the white noise and pink noise reminds me of the movie Ringu. The brown noise is quite relaxing. When I was listening to it it reminded me of a little waterfall at Cathedral peak at Mt. Charelston. As the water hit the rocks at the bottom it would make a low frequency sound which is great to hear and relax to, especially while you're trying to hike to the top of the peak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to know that people actually like this type of noise to sooth themselves to go to sleep. However I tried, and I think it would actually annoy me more than not using anything at all. It just sounded like "fuss". Definitely not for me.

    Mya Taylor

    ReplyDelete