Thursday, November 7, 2013

So are you a Twitter billionaire?


Like the guy in the hat? If not, do you at least use Twitter? Now that it has had its IPO, everyone who runs the company has become an instant millionaire/billionaire.

In fact, Twitter share prices rose sharply after the initial announcement, meaning an even larger take for those involved with the opening. It's an interesting phenomenon, since Facebook has four times as many users and Instagram is growing at a faster pace, Twitter seems to be the service that actually has the most immediate influence since it's used for security alerts and emergency warnings, political announcements and revolutions as well as letting people know what sandwich you just ate.

Even if you're not a billionaire just yet, do any of you by any chance use Twitter? Have an account but don't use it? Use it a lot? Follow anyone else? These questions are important because Twitter, for all the bluster over its IPO, is not profitable and only vague promises about how it will become so have been made. Facebook did it, so perhaps Twitter can as well.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting blog and amazing that the people who run twitter just became instant millionaire/ billionaires. I have had a twitter for about two years now. I signed up for twitter when I was required by my job to have and maintain a twitter account. I was required to have a twitter account so I could post things about the company I worked for into the social media world. If all employees tweeted like required then the company would get some buzz and the word out about upcoming events. I am no longer working for that employer so I really dont use twitter anymore. I still have my account and occasionally ill go on and see what the twitter talk is for the day but I no longer post things on twitter. Twitter is a really great marketing tool to use for businesses and I see myself reconnecting with twitter in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Social media is time consuming and draws you into a black hole of social interaction. I know this because I use Facebook. I have never used Twitter and probably never will. I'm surprised to read that they just became wealthy, I thought Twitter was a popular social media outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not use Twitter but almost everyone else I know does. It is very popular but it may be a passing fad if the millionaires of Twitter do not figure out a way to become profitable. Most celebrities and politicians and even businesses have their own accounts, their own followers, and advertisement themselves. Free websites like Google and Facebook make profits by personalized marketing to specific people based on what they're looking for or what they posted on their profile. Maybe Twitter should figure out an advertising system like their competitors.

    ReplyDelete