Monday, May 12, 2014

Look what I got.


Remember we talked in class about the 419 scams? The scams in which someone sends you an email saying you are a beneficiary to a foreign dignitary with no heirs and they would like to offer you a million dollars or so to help them transfer funds to an American bank account?

My NSC account finally got its first one. Here, in all its glory, is what they sent.

---
Attn: Beneficiary.

Note that in regards to your over due funds release to you, your due required fees has been settled by the central bank through the federal high court in Lagos in a 14 page affidavit sworn on your behalf and we hereby notify you that your funds have been cleared to be delivered to you through the UN zonal office here in London.

Be officially informed that Patrick Howard, a diplomat attached with the UN zonal office will inform you of his arrival with your funds by tomorrow, please you are urgently required to forward your address and your direct telephone number immediately.

Thanks for your urgent co-operation.

Regards,

Mr Mauri Butlear
UN Zonal Office,
3 Whitehall Court London SW1A 2EL
United Kingdom

---

As you can see, it is completely legitimate. By which I mean not legitimate at all. There is no UN 'Zonal Office,' there is no 'Mr. Mauri Butlear,' and there is no money waiting. Remember, if you get anything like this, DO. NOT. RESPOND. If you do, they will never, ever let go.

On another note, I meant to show this in class but didn't get the chance: this is the message I received from Apple when I needed to change my password. This is what makes passwords weak, not strong. It's what causes people to write them down which negates their effectiveness. This is terrible password policy.


I don't remember what password I used, of course. I guess I'll be seeing this window again.

No comments:

Post a Comment