Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Happy 35th birthday to the Sony Walkman!


The Sony Walkman, precursor-of-sorts to all things portable-audio, turns 35 years old today! Back in the glory days of '80s analog audio - which is still alive today since analog is a superior sound reproduction process than digital as we will learn - walking around listening to Iron Maiden on cassette with a Sony Walkman was the ultimate yet understated way to let everyone else know you were cool.

ipod-cassette-tape-funny

They went beyond being simply a music listening device. Some had very advanced features, some looked like they were waterproof (but weren't), and in the ultimate proof of their dominance, they became a fashion statement, especially for exercising (that was actually the image on the box the player came in). Their ultra-creepy ads couldn't put a damper on that. I had one and loved it. I may still have it around somewhere; my garage is the technology version of the Island of Misfit Toys.

They never skipped, something that happened with early portable CD players and hard-disc based digital music players, but since they were mechanical there was always the risk of an eaten tape. You can buy digital media players that still bear the Walkman name, but I'm not confident of their quality.

A couple of side notes: it appears that cassettes might be making a comeback, and the video below shows that backwards, technologically-deficient kids these days have no idea how to operate even the most basic of machines. Get those kids some technology!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! 35 years. Can't believe it's only a year younger than me. I feel old. I never owned one. I would have killed for one though. By the time I saved my measly $1 per week allowance, it was time for the Discman. I think the ice cream truck took most of my money. I did borrow my friend's Walkman and it was glorious. I did manage to buy an LP player around '85 and combined with my brother's boombox, we were cool. The 80's. I hope cassette players make a comeback though. It would make a great gift for the hubby. Then he could finally listen to all those cassettes in the garage that he can't part with. I don't mind the old, as long as it's being used.

    ReplyDelete