Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Immerse yourself in whatever you immerse yourself in


This thing is the Sony HMZ-T2, a 'personal viewer' you can wear that simulates a 750-inch(!) screen about 6 feet away. Be aware that this is not a virtual reality headset (that would be the Oculus Rift, a device that really is worth your attention, and probably deserves a post of its own), it's simply a personal viewer. You can watch TV or movies, play games, listen to music, whatever, as long as you have a source hooked up.

The reason I post this is because I've never been sure about these things. There have been others, like i-Glasses and MyVu, but no matter who makes them, or how large the virtual screen size is, it's not actually the same as viewing a huge screen - you as the user know they are .7 inch screens you're seeing. I do think they would have some use if you want to watch TV or listen to music while someone else is sleeping, or if your on an airplane or somewhere else that limits your access, but in general they haven't reached the right combination of weight/comfort/not looking goofy that is needed for these things to work.

Having written this though, I want to give this new model a shot. Would you ever use one?

Sourced from Engadget.

7 comments:

  1. I have never been interested in having to wear anything on my face to watch television or movies. I have gone to one 3D movie in my life and just hated to wear glasses during it. I just do not find it comfortable. So since I feel that way just about 3D glasses and watching movies I do not think I could tolerate something so much larger on my face to watch something.

    I watched the video clip of the demonstration of HMZ-T2. After watching that it solidified for me that there would be probably no way I would be interested in owning a personal viewer. It just looks uncomfortable to wear even though there has been improvements with adjustments from last years version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda don't mind the headset thing but it doesn't look very comfortable looking at all. However, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot to see if I'm wrong about it. It might be comfortable.

    Sony needs to fix the design, and think slimmer, thin, sleeker, and may be it could be clear types of lens on the face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They would definitely have to make the unit comfortable and light-weight enought to wear. I think I would use one if I were on an airplane, train, or long car ride. I could only imagine people attempting to use these while driving though. Call me crazy, but people probably will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not very intrigued by Sony's HMZ-T2 because as everyone else mentioned, it just looks uncomfortable. In my opinion, this is just a sign the that the more technology advances, the more dangerous it becomes. It's some stiff competition out there with Apple's "new" inventions. This just looks like a desperate attempt to compete with Apple and if entertainment because uncomfortable with these new gadgets, I am not interested at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the previous replies. If there was some way that these could be comfortable, I may give them a try. I do not want to be wearing something uncomfortable while trying to relax. It seems counterproductive to me. I am sure, however, that there are tons of people who would love something like this. To each his own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frankly... it looks hideous.

    I think I'll wait until they beautify it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this could be a great tool for students and young children, believe it or not, in regards to learning mathematics. I know that sounds a little odd, but this tool could be used, not just in a video game setting, but used to project 3D objects to teach students how to count, how to understand graphs and project graphs and the dynamics of shapes, volumes and area as well.

    On the video game part, how totally cool would it be to be in a roller coaster sitting in a chair at home or to be playing Assassins Creed and be climbing on top of buildings and jumping onto roof tops! Plus even for military use, the Sony HMZ-T2 could use it for training in fights and how to react without having to spar fellow soldiers for practice and risk hurting their own men for training.

    ReplyDelete