Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Half of us think 'the cloud' actually involves clouds


Or at least that weather can interfere with it. And that's understandable, because we spend a lot of time talking about 'the cloud,' but not a lot of time explaining to people what it actually is. It's not difficult to explain, and in this class you will be learning in both a general sense and in a very specific sense what the cloud is and why it's referred to as such. Since everything is moving towards cloud-based infrastructure, it's very important to understand not only what it is, but what the issues and concerns are that go along with it because they are, and will continue to be, significant.

I was equally amazed that so many faked knowing what the cloud is! I wonder why someone would need to fake that? Job interview, maybe? Very curious.

6 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to know what the cloud is? I'm not really sure about it. Since it seems to be a very important topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an iphone so I'm assuming you are talking about icloud and how data is stored in the idea of people's data magically floating in a cloud. I can understand how some may not know what it is because it is still something newer that had been introduced, but lying/faking is a whole different thing. If you don't know, it is easy to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know what "the cloud" is, but I am very interested to learn what it is and how it effects me in my everyday life. I will have to researh it in advance so that I can have a better sense as to what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only frame of reference I have for "the cloud" is an internet based offsite data storage program called dropbox. Personally, I like the idea and its capacities. Dropbox acts like a network server to which I can access data from a remote location in real time. Beyond that I have no idea what else it could be used for other than a data backup system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why so many folks get confused by what the cloud is. I myself can't explain it, even though I spent my weekend trying to understand why the cloud can be (only to some) anything beyond the firewall ... on top of realizing that I'm about a quarter of the way into going total-cloud myself.

    Nevertheless, it was interesting to see how small companies can benefit from keeping things off-site and never having to worry about a contingency plan. Why build a data center, your own apps, etc... and mess with risk if you don't have to, right?!

    At the same time, I can understand why it's tougher for the Fortune 500's to move completely into the cloud.


    References

    Cloud computing: Special report (2012, Februrary). InfoWorld. Retrieved from http://personal.crocodoc.com/iEVdymF

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wondering about the 'Cloud' does it have anything to do with using terrestrial space by any chance, when computing?

    ReplyDelete