Monday, July 22, 2013

Going to Disneyland/World?

Have fun! And in case you're worried you won't, the land of mouse has been using the FastPass system there for a long, long time. This system, originally developed in the mid-'90s and put into service in late 1999, allows visitors to essentially pre-book a time on a ride so they don't have to wait in what can be excruciatingly long lines.

From my personal archive!
Even so, Disney has decided to keep up with available technology, and is now experimenting with what may become the futuristic successor to FastPass, a wristband that would be created just for you, and is capable of transmitting wireless signals to receivers placed at strategic locations throughout the park. It can also pass as a payment system and hotel door key. According to this site (which also has a nifty image of the receiver), a smart-phone app will let you know when it's your time to ride.



I'd give you more info, but there isn't much to offer. In testing at Disney World, apparently guests spent more because they "had fun with the technology." I can also offer this website which shows the bands in different colors. Be aware that the linked site has a list of items under the heading "Here is how it works" but it doesn't actually state how it works, it simply says what you can do with it. Reading that list, though, one might deduce that the bands would most likely operate using Radio Frequency ID (RFID) or Near-Field Communications (NFC), the latter even more likely since it was suggested you could use them to make payments.

Until then, don't try to game the FastPass system, Disney isn't putting up with that crap anymore!

2 comments:

  1. I am really not a fan of Disneyland but this is a great idea to ensure everyone gets the chance to ride what they want without the crazy lines- saves paper too.

    As for the technology, I feel it may use 2 types of technology. NFC for closer transactions that require encryption (like payments or unlocking hotel rooms) and the more broad RFID for tracking people as they wander through the park. Actually, I just looked up the FCC Exhibit list and it looks like it is just RFID: "The PCB assembly also includes a passive UHF RFID tag radio and a passive HF RFID tag radio. Please note that passive tags only require FCC 15B verification whereas active tags require certification under 15C."

    I wonder what the cost is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea! I am planning a Disneyland trip in October and would love to have something like this. One, I would not need to bring a bag with me into the facility with the chances of me losing something and secondly, I would be able to plan out my day to tackle more of the attractions they have to offer getting more out of my money. But, there are some issues that would need to be fixed before I would use this piece of technology.

    The most important thing the wrist band will need is a way to verify that the person using this device is the correct person. If the band is lost and someone picks it up they now have access into the owner's account and can buy products, have the key to their room, and much more. I see that they have the person's name on the band but like a credit card it will not prevent people from stealing. I believe assigning a pin to use each time would help prevent theft, though it is not a perfect solution it will help.

    Then lastly, the cost it will be to utilize the band for the day. If it is a high fee, then on average customers may not even want to use the device since they are already paying so much for the vacation itself (I can guarentee they are already looking for ways they can save every penny from this costly trip).

    Though, I know this is a new piece of technology and they will have cracks that they will need to smooth out, to me these are the most important. If these are not addressed, I feel that all the money they are putting into this would be a waste and a loss. Protection and being reasonable priced are the most important to people. If these were addressed, I would be very interested in the device!

    ReplyDelete